- Prerequisite: Tree Honor.
- Learn the proper use of the following common forestry tools and practice using them on trees in a forest. Record the information for each tree giving also the common name of each tree:
- DBH (diameter at breast height) tape – measure the diameter of trees (ormeasure the tree circumference and calculate the diameter).
- Clinometer or Tangent height gauge – measure the height of trees.
- Increment borer – count the growth rings to determine age.
- Prism – estimate the basal area per acre or hectare.
- Use the information gathered in #2 to determine the board foot volume of the trees in the forest you measured.
- Calculate the basal area of a tree from the diameter (dbh) or circumference measurement. What is basal area per acre or hectare?
- Study five tree species important to forestry in your area and give the following information about each:
- common and scientific name
- range of tree
- height and diameter of tree at maturity
- common use and importance of tree
- habitat of tree, forest zone, and elevation
- List the benefits of forest to the environment, water quality, air quality, wildlife, and recreation.
- List the uses of wood produced in the forests in your area, and which tree species are important for each use.
- Discover & Discuss the following: How are forests managed to reduce the damage from insects and disease? What factors influence fire behavior? Considering that wildfires produce both benefits and destruction, what treatments could reduce wildfire severity?
- Do one of the following in forest regeneration:
- Tour a forest seedling nursery
- Plant forest seedlings or forest seed.
- Explore the biblical stories in Genesis 1-3 and Revelation 22 that talk about the tree of life. In your discussion, discover the role of trees in God’s perfect environment, and our responsibility to take care of our environment.
10 på lager
Varenummer (SKU): Forestry Kategorier: Håndværk og teknik (rød), Spejder duelighedstegn Tags: natur, sikkerhed, skov, skovbrand, traetyper
What is renewable energy? Why is renewable energy important? Describe how each of the following sources is used as a renewable source of energy. Draw…
Demonstrér pakning af rygsæk. Sækken skal indeholde mad, tøj og det nødvendige udstyr til en tre dages tur i terrænet. Planlæg og gennemfør den nævnte…
(Instructor Required) Have the following Honors: Hiking Orienteering Camping Skills I-IV First Aid Fire Building and Camp Cookery Know and practice the principles of health,…
Have the Intermediate Swimming Honor. Learn the meaning of the following terms: Across the wind Backhand Basic starting position Beginner’s checklist Board control Centerboard Center…